What is “personal information”?
The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) currently defines “personal information” as meaning information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
What information do we collect?
- The kind of personal information that we collect from you will depend on how you use the website and whether you are subscribed as an individual or with a school. The personal information which we collect and hold about individuals may include: first name, last name, physical address, email address, phone number, account name and user password, school name, subject information and billing details.
How we collect your personal information
- We may collect personal information from you whenever you input such information into the website.
Disclosure of Information (Schools)
We are committed to handling your personal information with the utmost care and responsibility. We may share personal information with third parties only in specific cases:
- With trusted service providers who assist in operating and maintaining the online learning platform.
- When required by legal requests or to comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- To ensure the safety and security of our users, the platform, and the educational community.
We are committed to safeguarding the personal information entrusted to us by users of our online learning platform. To ensure the security of this information and prevent unauthorised access or data breaches, we have implemented a range of technical, organisational, and administrative measures. These measures are designed to comply with relevant data security standards and best practices. Some of the key security measures we have in place include:
- Encryption: We use industry-standard encryption protocols to secure data transmission between users and our platform. This helps prevent unauthorised interception of information during transit.
- Access Controls: Access to personal information is restricted to authorised personnel who require this data to fulfil their responsibilities. Role-based access controls ensure that only authorised individuals can access specific categories of information.
- Firewalls and Intrusion Detection Systems: We maintain robust firewalls and intrusion detection systems to monitor and protect against unauthorised attempts to access our systems.
- Regular Security Audits: We conduct regular security audits and assessments to identify vulnerabilities and weaknesses in our systems. This helps us proactively address potential security risks.
- Data Minimisation: We only collect and retain the personal information that is necessary for the provision of our educational services. Unnecessary data is not collected or stored.
- Secure Development Practices: We follow secure coding practices during the development of our platform to prevent common vulnerabilities that could compromise the security of personal information.
Purpose of collection (General)
- The purpose for which we collect personal information is to provide you with the best service experience possible on the website.
- We customarily disclose personal information only to our service providers who assist us in operating the website. Your personal information may also be exposed from time to time to maintenance and support personnel acting in the normal course of their duties.
- Unless you are registered with a school, by using our website, you consent to the receipt of direct marketing material. We will only use your personal information for this purpose if we have collected such information directly from you, and if it is material of a type which you would reasonably expect to receive from us. We do not use sensitive personal information in direct marketing activity. Our direct marketing material will include a simple means by which you can request not to receive further communications of this nature.
Access and correction
- Australian Privacy Principle 12 permits you to obtain access to the personal information we hold about you in certain circumstances, and Australian Privacy Principle 13 allows you to correct inaccurate personal information subject to certain exceptions. If you would like to obtain such access, please contact us as set out below.
- If you have a complaint concerning the manner in which we maintain the privacy of your personal information, please contact us as set out below. All complaints will be considered by Jeddle and we may seek further information from you to clarify your concerns. If we agree that your complaint is well founded, we will, in consultation with you, take appropriate steps to rectify the problem. If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome, you may refer the matter to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
- Your personal information will not be disclosed to recipients outside Australia unless you expressly request us to do so. If you request us to transfer your personal information to an overseas recipient, the overseas recipient will not be required to comply with the Australian Privacy Principles and we will not be liable for any mishandling of your information in such circumstances.
How to contact us about privacy
- If you have any queries, or if you seek access to your personal information, or if you have a complaint about our privacy practices, you can contact us via: firstname.lastname@example.org.